Saturday, April 20, 2013

Baby Blanket with Ruffle Border





My cousin taught me how to crochet this blanket several years ago, and my friend Mrs. Bettis taught me how to do the boarder which comes from The Complete Book of Crochet Border Designs by Linda P. Schapper.  Ever since it has been my favorite baby blanket pattern.  (For baby boys I use a different border.)

For this blanket I used sport weight yarn that is 80% acrylic and 20% wool.  Usually I use Sugar 'n Cream yarn which is 100% cotton and a bit thicker.  (When I use Sugar 'n Cream yarn I only chain 102 to get it about the same width.)
This blanket is 28'' by 26'' (The size may vary because of your tension or if you use thicker yarn.)

Blanket:
Ch 152
Foundation row: Hdc in the 2nd ch from hook, then hdc in each stitch across, turn.  (150 hdc)
Row 1:  Ch 2, *hdc in front loop of next stitch, then hdc in back loop of next stitch; repeat from * across, turn.
Repeat row 2 until it is approximately 23'' (or whatever size you prefer).
Fasten off.

Picot: Ch 3, sl st in 3rd ch from hook.
Border:

Row 1:  Join yarn to any corner of blanket.  Sc across each side of blanket, sl st into 1st sc (When doing the border, do not turn).
Row 2:  Ch 1, *3 sc in corner, sc across to next corner sc,* repeat around, sl st into 1st sc.
Row 3:  Ch 1, sc in first sc, *ch 2, skip next 2 sc, sc in next sc;  repeat from * across.  (You may want to only skip 1 sc around corners so it lays flat.)
Row 4: Ch 3 (counts as dc), picot, *(dc, picot) 3 times in next ch-2 space, dc into next sc, picot* repeat around, ending with (dc, picot) 3 times in last ch-2 space.
Fasten off and weave in ends.


Crochet abbreviations:
ch- chain
dc- double crochet
hdc- half double crochet
sc- single crochet
sl st- slip stitch

No comments:

Post a Comment